Sunday, May 24, 2009

The changing US population

Interesting article on the top 10 cities in the US that people are relocating to.  All but 1 (Denver) are in the South and Southwest. Austin is #2.  A lot of people in Austin really don’t want it to grow anymore, I can actually understand that.  Austin has a certain charm about it that it might lose if it became too big. I heard (I think on NPR) that Texas is projected to be the state with the largest population, larger than NY or CA, by the year 2040.  The funny part is I remember in college I had a professor that predicted 2 things about the future of the US (this was in the early 90s), that people would mostly telecommute for their jobs and the South/Southwest would be the new large population centers of the country by the middle of the 21 century. When I read this article (and heard the same day on the radio that Houston is getting ready to overtake Chicago as the nation’s 3rd largest city)  it resurfaced to my memory what one of my professors had said so many years ago in college.

Here is a funny story on The Onion about this also.

No comments: